Monday 21 November 2011

Lina Adamsson, Colours

Beats, bleeps and colours. There's a lot going on in this song and I'm toning it down a little. Through the dynamic relationship between the dark and the light the interface, and the actual lyrics, become the video and not only a part of it. It might look dark at first but when the colours actually do shine through they stand out clearly. Not seeing what surrounds the words also helps building up an expectation for what will come next. When using as little means as possible, every addition to the story will have an impact.

I'm using simple techniques to try and create some movement into the lyrics. The interface is done by hand and will be partly photographed, partly filmed for longer sequences, and you simply follow the light for direction. I've placed the words according to the notes in which they're sung, and divided some of the words into syllables. Hopefully that will make it a little easier to follow the melody if you've never heard the song before. (This might only be clear to me, but it's how I see music.)

As this is very much a work in progress I've only uploaded a few seconds. I know it's hard to comment on what you can't see, but try and imagine this as an image of sound expanding with colours and light the more we listen to it. At least that's what I'm aiming for.

L


10 comments:

  1. I think so far this is really beautiful, and looks like its developing well. What programme did you use? I like how its quite soft and enchanting like the song. What colours will you use when it builds up? It might be nice to either use loads of different colours, or just a select few.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this work of hand?
    - maybe scratching through blacked up glass?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the ghostly feel, it has gentleness about it

    ReplyDelete
  4. really nice so far, think the visuals are a good choice for the song

    ReplyDelete
  5. very, very lovely. following the melody is a nice idea and it works well, actually I'm missing a little bit more colors (but maybe that's the youtube-size). I don't now the whole song but I would love to have a overwhelming colorful finale, where I can get lost.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey guys, thanks for your comments.

    1. I used iMovie. Planning on using more colours further into the song, it could be good idea to have a few guidelines as you say.
    2. Yes, you can't see it properly cause the quality is really poor, but I've punched little holes into black paper. Like your idea with the black glass as well. Also thought of using layers of different coloured crayons on top of each other and then shaping letters in it with a sharp object. That would let colours show randomly. Nice.
    3. Thank you. Ghostly gentleness sums it up!
    4. :)
    5. Glad you think it works! I think the melody is the biggest part of karaoke, and it's almost impossible to follow when it's unknown. More colours coming up. I only used blue for this clip, I think once different colours starts to show it will become much more alive. As for the finale, that's exactly what I want as weel! Ok, now I got some big shoes to fill. I'll try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. *well :/ Can't stand my own typos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it's kind of a slow song with sentiment,and you create an atmosphere to let us sing and enjoy the song in the bar with light slightly on.I think the visuals match the song.But it is a little hard to read and i miss the word "colors"

    ReplyDelete