Tuesday 22 November 2011

Velvet Underground "beginning to see the light" by Berenike




The Velvet Underground was an American rock band formed in NY, First active from 1964 to 1973. Their best-known members were Lou Reed and John Cale, who both went on to find success as solo artists. Andy Warhol managed the Velvet Underground and it was the house band at his studio, the Factory, and his Exploding Plastic Inevitable events.The song "Begging to see the light" was on their third album "The Velvet Underground" and has been recorded in 1968.

I chose to combine some sequences from old video material reduced to black and white, showing their first gig at the Factory, with a colorful font that seems to be typed live into the video. I used 4 different softwares (AI, AE, iMovie & DawnArk).

An anthem for drug, free love and the embassis of the 68s.

6 comments:

  1. I like the use of the old grainy footage.
    The type looks a little out-keeping of the film - kind of clean and computeree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first thought was, that you need to make sure, that the interface interacts better with the voice, so far the timing isn't good. But that's just finishing and I'm sure you saw that too. I think the drug-reference works well and it's still very readable. Sadly at this time, I can't give any more further comment or advice. Maybe the others have Ideas to push you any further, or lucky you – this is it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with niall that the text and colour doesn't really fit and takes away from the amazing footage! (did you put the film together yourself?)
    Also it would be nice if the text was more animated and free.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I a huge Velvet fan so I really love the footage, but the interface confuses me. There is so much going on in both the song and the footage, I think the video would benefit from a calmer element. There's so much you could do with the phrasing and the fact that the music changes pace every now and then, maybe incorporate that into the inteface?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I put the old scenes together in iMovie. It is a scene mix between their clip for sundy morning and two documentaries about their first gig at the factory. I focused on all scenes that have to do with light.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eh.. the lyrics seem can not catch song.

    ReplyDelete